FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
- Some friends from my School/College are planning to take the KVPY aptitude test. Can we ask our School/College authorities to request bulk applications for us?
KVPY discourages Schools/Colleges from requesting for bulk applications for their students. Students are encouraged to apply on their own with their own credentials. The instructions for doing so are described on the KVPY website. We ask Schools/Colleges to first get in touch with KVPY should they feel there is a strong reason/case that warrants requesting for bulk applications for their students.
- What is the meaning of the phrase 'Offline test'?
The phrase refers to the written version of the KVPY aptitude test. Students who opt for the offline test will be provided with the Question Paper booklet and an OMR sheet on the day of the test. They will have to mark their answers in the OMR sheet which has to turned in at the end of the test.
- What is the meaning of the phrase 'computer based test'? I have never taken such a test before. As a result, I am confused whether to opt for the offline test or the computer based test. Please advise.
The phrase means that the test will be conducted using an easy-to-use portal on a computer. No prior experience with using computers is needed to opt for such a test. In fact, students who choose to take the computer based test will be directed to a web link that contains a mock aptitude test hosted on the same portal. This will allow them to get familiar with all features of the testing environment. Further, such students will not find themselves in a disadvantageous position at any point as compared to the others who opt for the offline test.
- Can I take a computer based test in Hindi?
- What is the syllabus for the written exam?
There is no prescribed syllabus for the written exam. The written exam aims to test the understanding and analytical ability of the student than his/her factual knowledge. However, students are tested for the syllabus up to class X/XII/1st year of B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S. as applicable.
- I have completed my X Standard exam in 2012, am I eligible to apply for KVPY 2014?
(a) Stream SA: Students enrolled in the XI Standard (Science Subjects) during the academic year 2014-15 and having secured a minimum of 80% (70% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in MATHEMATICS and SCIENCE subjects (Physics/Chemistry/Biology) in the X Standard Board Examination.
Students promoted through both the Summative Assessments-II conducted by the school and conducted by the Board are eligible to apply, if they satisfy eligibility criteria. If the students have obtained a letter grade in the qualified examination, they are requested to convert it into an appropriate % marks and fill-up the application form.
(b) Stream SX: Students enrolled in XII standard / (+2) during the academic year 2014-15 and aspiring to join an undergraduate program in Basic Sciences (B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S.) for the session 2015–16 provided they have secured a minimum of 80% (70% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in MATHEMATICS and SCIENCE subjects (Physics/Chemistry/Biology) in the X Standard Board Examination. They must secure 60% (50% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in MATHEMATICS and SCIENCE subjects (Physics/Chemistry/Biology) in the XII standard Board Examination before taking up the fellowship, if awarded.
(c) Stream SB: Students enrolled in the 1st Year of an undergraduate program in sciences (B.Sc./B.S./ B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./M.S.) during the academic year 2014-15 and having secured a minimum of 60% (50% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in Science subjects (Physics/Chemistry/Biology) in the XII/(+2) Standard Board Examination. In the 1st year final examination of B.Sc./B.S./B.Math./B.Stat./Int. M.Sc./M.S. they must secure 60% (50% for SC/ST/PWD) marks before taking up the fellowship, if awarded.
- Is it necessary that the students have to study all the four subjects i.e. Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics?
In respect of the streams SB and SX the students who have studied any three of the four subjects, i.e. Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology are eligible to apply.
- When does the KVPY advertisement come in the newspapers?
The advertisement for the KVPY Fellowship appears in all the national dailies on the Technology day (May 11), and on the second Sunday of July every year.
- Can I avail the KVPY Fellowship along with a merit scholarship?
KVPY does not allow its Fellows to receive simultaneously fellowship /scholarship from more than one source, either government or private. In case they are in receipt of any other fellowship or scholarship, they will have to relinquish it in order to avail the KVPY Fellowship.
- When can I get the application form?
The KVPY is publishing its detailed advertisement on 2nd Sunday of the month of July every year. The application form can be obtained after the publication of the advt.
- When should I submit application form?
The last date for submission of the application form will be notified in the detailed advertisement published during July every year.
- Whom should I contact in case of Examination centre related queries?
The students can send their queries through e-mail which will be answered.
- I have a scanned copy of my photograph/signature/marks sheet/caste certificate, the file size of which exceeds the limit mentioned in the online application form. What should I do?
Please compress the file and then upload it.